Visian ICL Surgery – Steps
When you are having difficulty seeing, it can make life just that much more complicated and frustrating. Eye care is our specialty. We understand your fears and your frustrations. The Eye Institute of Utah is committed to providing comprehensive eye care without sacrificing the comforts of our patients. In an attempt to alleviate your anxiety, we have prepared this brief description of what to expect the day of your surgery.
- Eat a light breakfast/lunch.
- Prescribed medication should be taken as usual. Diabetic patients need to take their pills.
- Dress comfortably. Please wear a short-sleeved shirt.
- Do not wear any make-up.
- You will receive a phone call the day before your surgery for your arrival time.
- You must make arrangements to have someone drive you home after surgery.
- You should plan on spending approximately 3 hours at The Eye Institute on the day of surgery.
- The surgical procedure usually lasts about 40 minutes.
- A topical anesthetic medication will be administered so you will feel no discomfort during the surgical procedure. A mild sedative or IV sedation will be given to help you relax.
- Your head will rest comfortably on a contoured pillow, so there is no need to be concerned about moving your head during the procedure.
- A clear plastic drape will be placed over your forehead and cheek. Oxygen is flowing under the drape so there is no difficulty in breathing.
- Following surgery, you will rejoin your family & you will need to rest for 1 1/2 hrs after the procedure. We will be in a private post op room. After 1 1/2 hrs a quick post op check with your surgeon in necessary before you can leave.
- A trained patient educator will instruct you in what you can and cannot do following surgery. It would be advisable for you to have a member of your family or a friend sit in during the instruction session with your patient educator.
- It will be necessary for you to return to The Eye Institute the day following surgery.
- We do televise the surgery in a special waiting area for families to watch the surgery, it does not have your name or any personal information, so others will not know who is having surgery.
- If you have any questions or problems, please feel free to call us. We have a doctor on call 24 hours a day. Our phone number is (800) 760-4171.