Raindrop® Near Vision Inlay
Are you tired of constantly losing your reading glasses? Lose them on PURPOSE with the Raindrop® Near Vision Inlay!
Many people begin to see a decline in their near vision starting in their 40s, requiring the use of reading glasses or bifocals to improve vision. This is an unavoidable, age-related condition called presbyopia. Presbyopia occurs when the eye’s natural crystalline lens becomes rigid and loses the ability to flex and focus on near objects. Common signs of presbyopia include holding reading materials farther away, blurry vision when reading, or trouble focusing on near objects. If you are frustrated with presbyopia and are tired of keeping track of your readers, then you may benefit from the FDA-approved Raindrop® Near Vision Inlay, now available from our eye surgeons at The Eye Institute of Utah.
What is the Raindrop® Near Vision Inlay?
Created by ReVision Optics, the Raindrop® Near Vision Inlay is a tiny, hydrogel inlay which is implanted inside the cornea (front surface of the eye) in the patient’s non-dominant eye. The surgeon will use a femtosecond laser to create a self-sealing corneal flap or pocket that will house the Raindrop® inlay. Once implanted, the Raindrop® inlay changes the curvature of the cornea to a prolate shape, helping the eye more strongly focus light entering the eye to improve near and intermediate vision.
The Raindrop® inlay is the size of a pinhead, and thinner than a human hair. Raindrop® is made of a proprietary hydrogel material comprised of nearly 80% water, allowing nutrients to better diffuse and transfer to the cornea.
Here are some of the potential benefits of this revolutionary technology:
- Raindrop® inlay helps improve near and intermediate vision without compromising your distance vision.
- The inlay helps reduce or eliminate your need for reading glasses by providing a natural range of vision at all distances.
- Unlike other types of corneal inlays, the Raindrop® is a clear implant and not visible to the naked eye.
- The treatment is reversible, although rarely needed. Removal of the inlay would require an additional surgical procedure.
Am I a Candidate?
Ideal Candidates for the Raindrop® Near Vision Inlay are those who:
- Are between 41-65 years of age.
- Wear reading glasses.
- Experience blurry vision when reading or focusing on near objects.
- Do not need corrective eye wear to see far away.
To determine if you would be a candidate for the Raindrop® Near Vision Inlay, a thorough examination with one of our experienced surgeons would be needed to evaluate the unique characteristics and anatomy of your eyes. To schedule your free consultation or to learn more about the Raindrop® Near Vision Inlay, contact us by e-mail or call 801-770-4005.